February 13th 2017
The three-body problem. Cixin Liu. 2014 ISBN 19781466853447. This is part 1 of a sci fi trilogy by Cixin Liu, China’s most famous sci fi writer. Much of the early chapters revolve around the impacts/effects of The Cultural Revolution on chinese scientists. From this emerges a decision to reach out to the stars to find extraterrestrial life. Unfortunately the first earth person to make contact has become disaffected by humanity and she starts a sequence whereby an invasion force is sent to earth – and the journey will take 400 years. This book ends with mankind realizing the terrible impact of the future invasion and what may ensue (besides the elimination of humanity) . The author takes you on a terrific journey in physics ( maths and computer science) that will really keep your attention. In this the author is refreshingly different from American authors. He does not try to spoon feed the science and maths, nor over simplify the challenges. Now I have to find the next two books ( The Dark Forest, Death’s End) to see how this comes out.
- Winning Body Language. Control the conversation, command attention, & convey the right message without saying a word. Mark Bowden
- This Is Your Brain On Music. The science of a human obsession. Daniel J. Levitin
- Spartan Up! A take no prisoners guide to overcoming obstacles and achieving peak performance in life.
- Winning Body Language for Sales Professionals. Control the conversation and connect with your customer – without saying a word. Mark Bowden & Andrew Ford.
- Fantastic Voyage. Live Long Enough to Live Forever. Ray Kurzweil & Terry Grossman