Made in America. An informal history of the english language in the United States. Bill Bryson. 1994/2001. ISBN 0380713810. A funny yet very insightful book as only Bryson can write it. Well researched with copious annotations this is book for historians, writers, political scientists and students of all ages. I learned so much from this book such as
- The Pilgims were incredibly stupid and unprepared for their settling of America
- American angst over public sex, visual and written owes much to the Puritan influence
- Current ideas about political correctness are seriously flawed.
- Many Americanisms came from England – but the Brits could no longer recognize them.
- America is an incredibly funny and diverse place.
Have ago if you can find this book (Its on Amazon) , it is well worth the read.