May 10th 2013
Citizenville. How to take the town square digital and reinvent government. Gavin Newsom. 2013. ISBN 9781101605813. The author is Lt. Governor of California and was mayor of San Francisco. He speaks with authority and experience of the disconnect between government (designed in the 50s) and its citizens especially digital citizens with all their social media tools. The author draws from experiences in opening government in California ( the successes, struggles and work still to be done) . As well he has access to some of the smartest civic/technical thought leaders in the country ( e.g. Stewart Brand, Tim O’Reilly, Eric Ries) to be able to paint the picture of innovations that are working now at many levels of govt worldwide.
Like myself he thinks that City government has the ability to act faster and go further with this approach than other government. He addresses who the City is trying to serve and how to do it better with vastly increased efficiency, speed and application of present resources. I recommend this book to anyone in civic government or a citizen who cares about the state of their present government. This is not a blueprint to change, rather a manifesto of change, a vision to guide the journey. Combined with The Slow Fix (Carl Honore) this book gives us a place to start and a framework for change. Very readable, the book flows well.
- Seizing Our Destiny. 2012s best communities to live, work, grow and prosper in. Robert Bell, John Jung & Louis Zacharilla
- Presentation Zen. Simple ideas on presentation design and delivery. Garr Reynolds
- The Jelly Effect. How to make your communication stick. Andy Bounds.
- How to Generate Real Sales Results from Digital Tools Like Social Media, Webinars and e-Content
- How the Mighty Fall. And why some companies never give in. Jim Collins
One Response to: “Citizenville. How to take the town square digital and reinvent government. Gavin Newsom.”