April 12th 2013
Street Smarts. Adventures on the road and in the markets. Jim Rogers. 2013. ISBN9780307986078. Co-founder (cw George Soros) of the Quantum Fund, Rogers retired at 37. Now living in Singapore, he has made a fortune and a life of shorting stocks, commodities, currencies and what have you. A very entertaining read he has made pretty well every mistake you could , but he has learned from then all. He is not a fan of the US as it stands and although an American holds out little hope for it improving in the future unless it:
- Sends all politicians to live back home away from the lobbyists and among the electorate. With all the technology, why do they all have to be in Washington? Should do this in Canada too.
- Bring all the troops home. it will save money and reduce enemies.
- Reform the court system to drive down litigation. Losers should pay all court costs
- Drastically improve the education system to teach to higher levels. Most politicians are now really ignorant.
- Do the same to the health care system.
- Drop the income tax system to a consumption tax system. no lawyers, breaks or accountants needed. Encourage/reward savings .
- He would like the Europeans to let the nations default, while the strong ones can afford it.
- Open up the countries to immigration and freedom of travel
- Get rid of all sanctions and allow Americans to invest anywhere and bank anywhere. Get rid of even more bureaucrats
He is quite the character and is trying to see how he can invest in Burma and North Korea since they will need everything. He likes China, the govt changes every five years. . Brazil is run by Brazilians so they will screw up. India can not feed its people and is screwed. Russia is run by a dictator, is screwed up plus it will screw you. You can read this one on four hour flight. It may change your view on most things.
- Wall Street Legend Jim Rogers Mulls Investing in Bulgaria (novinite.com)
- Money Matters Radio: Street Smarts, Finance in Asia, and Annuities (minyanville.com)
- Why Jim Rogers hates Ben Bernanke (finance.fortune.cnn.com)
- Street Smarts, by Jim Rogers (cobdencentre.org)
- Jim Rogers Bullish on Water-Tech Investments, Russian Ruble – Bloomberg (bloomberg.com)
- Jim Rogers: Adventures of a restless investor (usatoday.com)
- Jim Rogers on Fed Easing? ‘This is going to end very very badly’ (sgtreport.com)
- Jim Rogers – Street Smarts: His Life’s Story (sgtreport.com)
- Check out my first rant – on Politicians.
- Hedge Hogs: The Cowboy Traders Behind Wall Street’s Largest Hedge Fund Disaster
- The New Normal. Roger McNamee.
- Dark Pools.High speed traders, AI bandits, and the threat to the global financial system. Scott Patterson.
- Patriots. A novel of survival in the coming collapse. James Wesley, Rawles.