December 23rd 2012
Seizing Our Destiny. 2012s best communities to live, work, grow and prosper in. Robert Bell, John Jung & Louis Zacharilla
Seizing Our Destiny. 2012s best communities to live, work, grow and prosper in. Robert Bell, John Jung & Louis Zacharilla 2012. ISBN 9781477635797. Published by www.intelligentcommunity.org. If you want to find out how Quebec has been able to devastate BC’s gaming industry, read this book. (Its also likely that Federal and Provincial funds were used) . Seven cities are detailed as to how they have been able to be innovative and grow jobs when others are losing them. The cities described include Quebec City, Riverside California, Saint John NB, Stratford On., Oulu FIN, and Tuichung City, Taiwan. None of these are big cities in their respective countries but they have been able to grow against the world trends. And it is all because they understand that it needs process, structure and people to make it work. So simple it is brilliant. A small but insightful book , great for short trip. The five attributes of Intelligent cites are:
- Broadband connectivity (Low cost fiber optics – as a community utility)
- Knowledge workforce – which needs to be developed and supported
- Digital inclusion. Policies and funding to ensure the have nos can also be included
- Innovation. Just like it is a needed in business, cities need it too to build the businesses needed
- Marketing and advocacy. Some hire a city manager skilled in economic development = tell the story skillfully
- Brain Gain. How innovative cities create job growth in an age of disruption. Robt. Bell, John Jung & Louis Zacharilla
- When Boomers Bail. How demographics will sort communities into winners and losers. Mark Lautman.
- Social Intelligence. The new science of social relations. Daniel Goleman
- Screw the Valley. A Coast-to-Coast Tour of Americas New Tech Startup Culture: New York, Boulder, Austin, Raleigh, Detroit, Las Vegas, Kansas City. Timothy Sprinkle.
- New Product Blueprinting. The handbook for B2B organic growth. Dan Adams.