November 19th 2012
Rules of the Hunt. Real-World Advice for Entrepreneurial and Business Success. Michael Dalton Johnson.
Rules of the Hunt. Real-World Advice for Entrepreneurial and Business Success. Michael Dalton Johnson.2012. ISBN 780071791380. The author, founder of SalesDog.com, knows his way around a selling floor This is a distillation of 30 yrs of experience. Lots of short relevant quotes and examples abound here. He has a very useful index of Rules which makes the book doubly useful. His closing rules are some of the best I have ever seen in one place.
- Be generous with yourself and others
- Dream more
- Don’t compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey is all about
- Avoid negative thoughts of things you can not control. Invest your energy in the positive present moment
- Don’t overdo. Stay within your limits
- Each day give something good to others
- Forgive everyone for everything
- Don’t take yourself too seriously. No one else does.
- Don’t waste your precious energy on gossip
- Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need.
- Forget issues of the past. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone.
- Make peace with your past so it won’t spoil the present
- Don’t remind others of their past mistakes
- No one is in charge of your happiness except you.
- Learn a new word every day
- You don’t have to win every argument
Taking care of you.
- Drink plenty of water
- Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper
- Eat plenty of fruits & vegetables
- Play lots of games
- Read more books than you did last year
- Sit quietly for at least 10 minutes everyday
- Breath deeply
- Sleep for seven hours
- Take a 10-30 min walk everyday. And smile when you are walking
- Spend time with people over 70 and under 6 yrs of age.
- Keep your sense of humour
- Try to make at least three people smile each day.
- What other people think of you is none of your business
- Your job won’t take care of you when you are sick. Your friends and family will. Stay in touch.
- The worst promise you can break is one made to yourself
- However good or bad a situation is, it will change.
- When you awaken alive in the morning, be thankful
- Your innermost self is always happy. Follow it.
- Mo matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.
Great cross country read.
- Rules of the Hunt – Do You Know What They Are? (business2community.com)
- The 1% Solution. How to make the next 30 days your best ever. Tom Connellan.
- What Got You Here Won’t Get You There in Sales. How successful salespeople take it to the next level. Marshall Goldsmith, Dan Brown and Bill Hawkins.
- Too much Happiness. Alice Munro.
- The End of Growth. Adapting to our new economic model. Richard Heinberg.
- Change or Die. Alan Deutschman. The three keys to change at work and life.