September 10th 2012
Five Frogs on log. A CEOs field guide to accelerating the transition in mergers, acquisitions and gut wrenching change. Mark L. Feldman & Michael F. Spratt.
Five Frogs on log. A CEOs field guide to accelerating the transition in mergers, acquisitions and gut wrenching change. Mark L. Feldman & Michael F. Spratt.1998 ISBN 988730981. PWCoopers commissioned a study of large M&As in the mid 90s. From that they developed an analysis of what worked well and what did not. This book is an offshoot from that study. Having worked on companies that they talk about in those times, this book is right on the money. It is a pithy, concise and well documented easy to read story of deeds and misdeed (mostly those). Any CEO looking to buy or sell his company should make this a must read before they get drawn into the fray. Its is till in print and available on Amazon The examples and stories are worth the book itself. I see many of our clients still missing the mark with the basics needed form this book. Number one, know the value drivers of your business. When you come to merge :
- Base the transition strategy on the economic value drivers
- Aggressively manage communications in order to secure stakeholder support and acceptance
- Launch small, fast-paced, short term transition teams that will accelerate implementation of the value drivers.
- Align organizational roles and responsibilities to ensure clarity of direction.
- Build a behavior-based culture around defining events dictated by the value drivers.
- Select and deploy role models who support the desired culture.
- Link incentives directly to the creation of shareholder value.
The description of value creation incentive plans is a model for many businesses including start-ups . This is a must have in your leadership library. Thanks to David Moulton for lending this to me.
- American Fortune Mergers and Acquisitions Releases Today Tips on Timing A Business Sale (prweb.com)
- Alliances and Partners (rumohrandclarke.wordpress.com)
- American Fortune Mergers and Acquisitions Releases Tips for Businesses to Thrive Without Their Owner (prweb.com)
- Facebook IPO hangover not over yet (but mergers and acquisitions pick up the slack) (venturebeat.com)
- How To Survive A Merger: 6 Tips For IT (informationweek.com)
- Recent management books Dec 2009.
- Seizing The White Space. Business model innovation for growth and renewal. Mark W. Johnson.
- The Collaborative Enterprise. Campbell and Goold
- managing IT as a business. A survival guide for CEOs. Mark D. Lutchen.
- The Ultimate Guide to Strategic Marketing. Robert J.Hamper