June 11th 2012
Curation Nation. How to win in a world where consumers are creators. Why the future of content is context. Steven Rosenbaum.. 2011. ISBN 9780071760393. I confess, I am a content curator. Maybe 5% of what I put out on the web is my own content – book reviews. The rest is material gleaned from 620 + RSS feeds I review five days a week.. I share about 20 items each day – which are queued up in Hootsuite so one goes out every few hours. In my online travels I may post another half a dozen immediate tweets/G+ posts of things that are relevant to me in my “collecting” of items on sales and marketing “today”.
Rosenbaum goes into some detail about how the firehose of content needs to be curated – so you can pick and choose what is relevant to your interests/uses. There are people who are doing that , Scoble, Kawasaki, Huffington Post. Others rail against repurposing of content, eg Mark Cuban.
Who could benefit from this book? Marketers, authors, journalists and anyone who proposes to be a content authority. More of a whats happening vs what to do about it book, the insights are valuable. I believe him when he points out several business models that can spring from these ideas.
- Content curators are the new superheros of the web (nextlevelofnews.com)
- 5 Tips for Great Content Curation (mashable.com)
- Review: Curation Nation (thejoyofbooking.com)
- Social Media, Memetics, and Cognitve Science – Why Curation is Now a Marketing Must! (sixestate.com)
- What Is Corporate Curation? IBM Is Making It | Forbes (waterwayrealty.wordpress.com)
- What exactly is ‘Curation’ anyway? (publicsphere.typepad.com)
- Curating Content Online (viennarichards.org)
- Are You A Content Curator? 5 Best Practices For Content Curation (mithuhassan.wordpress.com)
- Show 328 – The World of Curationism (theengagingbrand.typepad.com)
- Oh Google Reader – you have really screwed up my day
- The No Asshole Rule. Building a civilized workplace and surviving one that isn’t. Robert J. Sutton
- Enchantment: The Art of Changing Hearts, Minds, and Actions. Guy Kawasaki
- Content Rules. How to create killer blogs, podcasts, videos, ebooks, webinars. Ann Handley & C.C. Chapman
- My Blog roll