May 28th 2012
People Follow You. The real secret to what matters most in leadership. Jeb Blount. 2012. ISBN 9781118094013. I am a fan of Blount’s writing, always clear, concise and he gets right to it. His experience as a senior sales leader shows through. Since I maintain sales is a learned/experiential vs an academically taught skill, material like Blount’s is invaluable.
He starts out with principle one, ” You get paid for what your people do, not what you do. You need your people more than they need you.” This theme continues to be reinforced through the book in his other principles
- Follow the Golden Rule
- You are always on stage.
- People don’t do dumb things things on purpose
- People do things for their own reasons. not yours
- Change behaviors, not beliefs or styles
- You are not normal
A valuable read for every leader, especially sales.
- Flexing Your Leadership Style – “People Follow You” by Jeb Blount (sellleadsucceed.com)
- People Buy You. The real secret to what matters most in business. Jeb Blount
- Sales Eats First. How customer-motivated sales organizations out-think, out-offer, and outperform the competition.Noel Capon & Gary S. Tubridy.
- Leadership The Barack Obama Way. Make Change Happen.Shel Leanne.
- Remarkable Leadership. Unleashing your leadership potential one skill at a time.
- Make the Sale Happen Before Lunch/ The Power of Positive Selling. Stephan Schiffman