July 14th 2011
How to Sell at Margins Higher Than Your Competitors: Winning every sale at full price, rate or fee. Lawrence L. Steinmetz & William T. Brooks
How to Sell at Margins Higher Than Your Competitors: Winning every sale at full price, rate or fee. Lawrence L. Steinmetz & William T. Brooks. 2006. ISBN 978-0471744832. (also Kindle). This is a small but detailed book and one I recommend to any sales manager charged with getting margins up. A bonus with the book is a complete addenda that lists all the ways professional buyers will mistreat (beat up ) a seller in order to get him to crack on price. if you have been there as a sales man you will recognize some of these immediately! Buyers lie in order to get you to lower price. If they could get it from someone else at a better price, why are they still talking to you (unless they can’t get delivery, quality, service or they are not allowed). The authors discussion of the price buyer is excellent and thorough. What I appreciate about the book is that it is more than a list of what happens, they then give you tactics that are useful in the sale. I have been at this a long time, and never knew the breadth of tactics in this book. I have already been able to use a few in the last few days to great results. (What do they say about the old dog, new tricks?) Their one chapter analysis on setting prices gives the practitioner immediate tools to help decide where you should stand. They are dead set against letting the market determine price – you have to. An essential book for your sales library.
- You’re Working Too Hard To Make the Sale. More than 100 insider tools to sell faster and easier . William T. Brooks & Tom Tavisano. 2nd Ed (regnordman.com)
- Consultative Selling. The Hanan formula for high-margin sales at high levels. 8th Ed. Mack Hanan (regnordman.com)
- With sales vs. profits, listen to your market, not your ego. (vailchris1.wordpress.com)
- You’re Working Too Hard To Make the Sale. More than 100 insider tools to sell faster and easier . William T. Brooks & Tom Tavisano. 2nd Ed
- Pricing for Profit. How to command higher prices for your products and services. Dale Furtwengler.
- Roadmap to Revenue. How to sell the way your customers want to buy. Kristin Zhivago.
- When does the customer first ask about price? Pricing part 2.
- Does finance still set your prices? Pricing panel part 7.