June 14th 2011
Your web based content could be driving more leads away than its bringing in.
- 93% of B2B buyers use search to begin the buying process. (source: Marketo)
- 62% of business buyers now spend more time researching product and services online than they did prior to the recession. (source: Google)
- 65% of C-Suite executives conduct six or more work-related searches daily (source Google).
Recent data from Demandgen on what buyers do these days show that :
- Less than 10% of recent buyers were contacted cold by the solution provider
- More than 80% said they contacted the solution provider directly
- 9 out of 10 buyers say that when they are ready to buy they will find you
Is your content set up to attract the right buyers? DemandGen tells us buyers make up a short list of who to contact through these activities:
- 78% started with informal info gathering
- 59% engaged with peers who addressed the challenge
- 48% followed industry conversations on topic
- 44% conducted anonymous research of a select group of vendors
- IT buyers found relevant content on a vendors website only 42 percent of the time. (way less than half)
- The lack of relevancy for the prospect reduced the vendor’s chance of closing a sale by 45 percent. ((Cut it almost in half again – your chances just dropped to less than 20% of a win, that is if they find you)
So before you redo your sales dept, add a bunch of technology to sales and marketing, spend a ton on outbound marketing, first ask yourself if your content is even giving you a fighting chance. It sounds like for most companies it is working against them.
- Britannica launches a new web-based ebook service, by Sue Polanka (teleread.com)
- Google announces host of search improvements (news.cnet.com)
- Jorge Escobar: The Keys to the Cloud Are Inside Smart Caching (jungleg.com)
- HP May Launch webOS Cloud-Based Music Service (pocketnow.com)
- How to Use Google + Business Pages. A concise guide and action plan for using Google + in your business. Jay Sleighter.
- Oh Google Reader – you have really screwed up my day
- Rethinking the Sales Cycle. How Superior Sellers Embrace the Buying Cycle to Achieve a Sustainable and Competitive Advantage. John R. Holland & Tim Young.
- Marketing Automation is Not the Magic Bullet for Your Sales Issues
- Information Trapping. Real-Time Research on the Web. Tara Calishain