September 10th 2010
The Hyper-Social Organization. Eclipse your competition by leveraging social media. Francois Gossieaux & Ed Moran
The Hyper-Social Organization. Eclipse your competition by leveraging social media. Francois Gossieaux & Ed Moran. 2010. ISBN 9780071714020. Based on a Tribalization of Business Study (http://www.tribalizationofbusiness.com/category/tribalization/) , the authors have the data and experience to prove out their point. I just wish they had got to the meat a lot sooner. I took lots of notes all the way through but the real value starts at Chapter 14. Some juicy quotes I picked up:
Companies usually have a mix of two communities, defenders of the faith and seekers of the truth. You certainly do not look for innovation from defenders.
Peter Drucker, ” Because the purpose of a company is to create a customer, the business enterprise has two – and only two – basic functions: marketing and innovation. Marketing and innovation produce results; all the rest are costs. Marketing is the distinguishing, unique function of the business. ( Sound like any place you worked? “
A hypersocial enterprise will require – new salespeople. new sales metrics, better integration of all customer touching areas (and their data), seeing fewer one to one sales but more one to tribe sales, salespeople with new skills,
Bill Joy says that their are always more smart people outside your company than within it. (So the tribes can conttibute a a big part of product dev and innovation) Dev can not ignore the reaching out of marketing to the tribes.
Breakthrough products will not come out of committee. Henry Ford always said if he gave people what they wanted he woudl have produced a faster horse.
HR must change and in a big way with HyperSocial.
Owners of big communities/tribes will monetize through becoming “brokers” e.g. facebook.
A valuable but not an easy read. Could have used an aggressive editor, but leaders need to read this stuff. I am better for reading it. Great examples.
Related articles by Zemanta
- Hyper-Social Enterprise: What it Takes to Lead One (fastforwardblog.com)
- Seven misconceptions about corporate social networking (smartplanet.com)
- Who are the Best Social Media Researchers? (ariwriter.com)
- Extreme DIY Social Media Media Blogger Relations Training For PR/Ad Agencies (bloombergmarketing.blogs.com)
- Why Do the Most Popular Social Networks Fail to Satisfy Consumers? (veryofficialblog.com)
- Should Salespeople Embrace Social Media? (onesocialmedia.com)
- Tribes. We need you to lead us. Seth Godin.
- Voice of the Customer Marketing. A revolutionary five-step process to create customers who care, spend and stay. Ernan Roman.
- Real-Time Marketing & PR. How to instantly engage your market, connect with customers, and create products that grow your business now. David Meerman Scott.
- Social Nation. How to harness the power of social media to attract customers, motivate employees & grow your business. Barry Libert
- Putting the Public Back in Public Relations. How social media is reinventing the aging business of PR. Brian Solis & Deirdre Breakenridge.