December 10th 2009
socialnomics. how social media transforms the way we live and do business. erik qualman. 2009. ISBN 9780470477236. I confess my first thought was not another fluffy book on social media. This is anything but that. I consider this the sober second wave type of book that helps us determine where a technology change will really make a business difference. Examples:
The impact of having your profile available to the many and how that impacts your social behavior (What foes on in Vegas stays on Facebook)
LinkedIn is a defacto monopoly on business social networking. Once you have collected a set of references on LinkedIn why would you ever go to another site?
It is no good railing against the walled garden approach of Facebook, companies need to embrace it as another venue to meet and communicate with its target market.
Google is right to be scared of Facebook, people care less what Google thinks and more what their ‘friends” think about products etc. I just bought two items from Facebook marketplace that a few years ago I woudl have looked to ebay for. Facebook was easier, much faster and now I know the seller.
Books are being written as a crowd sourcing experiment – ask your followers a question on Twitter and write down what comes back.
Robert Murdock wanting to get his stuff not as easily searched by Google is another example of “Its my ball and I will play with it my way” thinking. Did not work for AOL, Hasbro and Scrabulous won’t work for him
I advise you to pick this book up, it will help us dinosaurs come to grips with why the youth are embracing this media. You will enjoy his easy reading style and thoughtful analysis.
- The Art of Social Selling. Finding and Engaging Customers on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Other Social Networks.Shannon Belew
- The Dragonfly Effect. Quick effective and powerful ways to use social media to drive social change. Jennifer Aaker & Andy Smith.
- Social Media Sales Revolution. The new rules for finding customers, building relationships, ansd closing more sales through online networking. Landy Chase & Kevin Knebl.
- Maximize Your Social. A one-stop guide to building a social media strategy for marketing and business success. Neil Schaffer
- Oh Google Reader – you have really screwed up my day