April 26th 2009
The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Cold Calling. Keith Rosen. 2004. ISBN 1592572278. I needed to research some sales tactics last week and re-discovered this book on my shelf. It was a treasure as the author – a sales top percentage seller as well as a clear writer has put together a good simple workbook wrto leads and lead generation/prospecting. He gives useful and succinct advice which ties in closely with the research created by Rocket Builders on Precision Sales and Marketing. There are certain things every sales person needs to know before they pick up the telephone. Eg.
- What must you know about this prospect in order to decide that they are a real customer for your product? (Brian Carrolls ” a qualified lead”)
- Every salesperson should be able to fluently/truthfully present 5 compelling reasons to buy his/her product – (not compelling – more than different) These should survive the “so what” response.
- Prospects buy what the product does for them ( The drill creates holes). What does yours do (In English? )
- Why should they care what you have to say – what is in it for them?
- How are you (and your product) going to help them become a better , (e.g. Product manager, CEO CFO?) at what they do?
- What is your key differentiator – that no one else/product can do?
- Your no 1 (and 2,3,4,5 …) sales tools are the stories from wildly satisfied customers.–exactly like the target you are selling to! Is your tool box filled ?
- Prepare to prospect more leads from the prospect before you talk to them, even if they do not become” qualified”.
- Gatekeepers are more often information warehouses than barriers- how are you doing with them? Do you know what their day is like?
There is much more here. As in many sales books the essence is presented along with the necessary. So the audience who most needs to know this material (rooky, tired, jaded and wearly) , often skips over the most important parts.
if you sell – and want to do better – this is a good primary resource book
Related articles by Zemanta
- How to Do Confident Cold Calling (marketingpr.suite101.com)
- Precision Sales and Marketing is more than getting better at selling (regnordman.com)
- Inside Sales Hiring Strategies (thecustomercollective.com)
- Let’s Get Real or Let’s Not Play. Mahan Khalsa (regnordman.com)
- Customers Are Persuaded When They Are Part Of The Process And Not Part Of The Audience (myventurepad.com)
- When does the customer first ask about price? Pricing part 2.
- How to Generate Real Sales Results from Digital Tools Like Social Media, Webinars and e-Content
- Implementing a Value Based Sales Approach. Part 2 of 4. Marketing
- Prospect Nurturing
- Dirty Little Secrets: Why sellers can’t sell and buyers can’t buy, and what you can do about it. Sharon Drew Morgen
One Response to: “The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Cold Calling. Keith Rosen”