March 20th 2009
How the Wise Decide, The lessons of 21 extraordinary leaders. Bryan Zeckhauser & Aaron Sandoski. 2008. ISBN 9780307339737. The authors ( Venture Capital associated) boiled the thoughts of the mostly US leaders into a coherent set of six principles:
- Go to the source
- Fill a room with barbarians
- Conquer the fear of risk
- Make vision your daily guide
- Listen with purpose
- Be transparent
Then the authors wove the stories of the 21 interviewees showing these core messages. The idea works very well and it makes for an informative and interesting read. I could not help but think that over riding the analysis was thate individuals needed to be people of strong and good character.
Not a big book – so it would work for a four hour plane ride. and not take a lot of room.
Related articles by Zemanta
- Venture Capital for Long Tail Entrepreneurs at SXSW (unstructuredventures.com)
- Rebounders. How winners pivot from setback to success. Rick Newman
- Sell Yourself First. The most critical element in every sales effort. Thomas A. Freese.
- How to destroy a competitors business model. Web 2.0 style. in seven parts
- the mesh. Why the future of business is sharing. Lisa Gansky
- Inside the Mind of the Turtles. How the world’s best traders master risk. Curtis M. Faith