February 6th 2009
Decline and Fall. Europe’s Slow Motion Suicide. Bruce Thornton. 2008. ISBN 9781594032068. A short well written sombre book. The author is a classisist, who has an impressive academic background.
(From the UK description) Despite the utopian promises of the EU, conditions are ripe for fulfilling Islamic scholar Bernard Lewis‘s prediction that in fifty years Europe will be an Islamic society, which is to say Europe will culturally disappear. In this penetrating and provocative book, the classicist Bruce S. Thornton shows how Europe reached this pass andanalyzes what Europe’s decline means for the United States.
My lesson learned is that by turning away from its spiritual roots in Christianity (Through an Eloi-like pursuit of personal satisfaction) Europe is leaving itself open to a gradual Islamic assimilation. Compound this with the relative ease for immigrants to be caught in the EU social safety net, but continue to deny them upward mobility into the better schools, jobs and full integration into EU society and you have a breeding ground for anger, crime, terrorism and isolation from society.
The author traces this disconnect to deeply held national prejudices in Europe. He points out what N. America is doing well in this regard but hints that the US just may get tired of bailing Europe out with money and troops. Although Europe desires to solve all world conflicts with diplomacy vs might they have been ineffective in all cases – resulting in Canada, the UK and the US putting troops and funds in play. The Islamic nations see Europe as having no world wide power to affect them. They just expect them to accommodate, apologize and give way to Islam. (The population growth of immigrants is incredible.)
He asks the question, “When will the US decide that NATO is an ineffective use of largely American funds and pull the support? “ That is a good one.
Related articles by Zemanta
- Stimulus Plan Has Even Europe Nervous (abcnews.go.com)
- Indonesian clerics ban yoga mantras for Muslims (telegraph.co.uk)
- Population growth and climate: The EU-15 vs. the U.S. (climateprogress.org)
- As Europe’s Economies Slide, Protectionism Is on the Rise (time.com)
- The battle to shape globalisation (guardian.co.uk)
- MAD about Iran? (powerlineblog.com)
- Flashpoints. The emerging crisis in Europe. George Friedman.
- The Sustainable Organization. A paradigm for a fairer society. Miguel Reynolds Brandao & Nadia Morais
- Bin Laden. The man who declared war on America. Yossef Bodansky
- Revolutionary Wealth. How it will be created and how it will change our lives. Alvin and Heidi Toffler
- Street Smarts. Adventures on the road and in the markets. Jim Rogers.