September 2nd 2008
Stop acting like a seller and Start Thinking Like a Buyer. Jerry Acuff & Wally Wood. 2007. ISBN 9780470068342. From his first questions through to the examples and stories, the author immediately takes you to a very real place in the selling world. This easy to read, insightful and hard hitting book is so far my Book of the Year for sales people. If you want to truly succeed at todays sales game – get and read this book above all else. If you don’t , then quit reading now – life is just going to be too tough for you. In his words ( wish I had written these) “great salesmen inform, involve, engage and provoke thought”. “People will buy what they want not what you think they need” “You are trying to see if your product is a fit for what they want.” Acuff blows the accepted statements about sales out the window, showing you how to really prepare for each call, to setup for success or a quick no. He leads you to understand that this is a sales conversation not ever a sales call.
A great insight on the changing nature of sales leads to day- which we well know of. Prospects, when in their research, knowledge pursuit stage do not want to be “called on’ , trial sold or pursuaded. They want information and to learn. Later when ready, they may engage you (if you made the short list) and they want you to have done as much homework on them as they have done on you- to be able to get right down to “what are you and your products going to do for me?” They do not want to sit down and discuss with every salesmen their problems, pains etc. There is no time for this and expect you to do this on your own. So when your website indicates a new lead – the worst thing your sales team could do is to rush and call them up – does sales really know what they are getting into?. Of course not.
Gotta love this stuff!
Related articles by Zemanta
- Headline: a Strategic Analysis of B2c Lead Generation
- B2b Lead Generation & Online Companies
- Article Marketing That Can Lead You to Success
- B2B Lead Generation Blasphemy-Whitepapers without reg forms
- SalesGenie.com “Genie Search” – The Best and Worst Super Bowl Ads – TIME
- B2b Lead Generation: Where There is a Lead, There is a Sale
- What is Marketing’s role (today)?
- Effective Marketing to Potential Customers
- selling against the goal. How corporate sales professionals generate the leads they need. Kendra Lee
- News from the trenches- The sales process starts before you think it does
- Sales Support. Part 2 of a series asking are you effective as well as efficient in selling?
- 7-25 Decision Makers on $25K plus sales deals these days.
- The long term sales view. Are you effective as well as efficient? Part 1 of a series