December 18th 2007
Metaphorically Selling. How to use the magic of metaphors to sell, persuade, & explain anything to anyone. Anne Miller
Metaphorically Selling. How to use the magic of metaphors to sell, persuade, & explain anything to anyone. Anne Miller. 2004. ISBN 0976279401. Reading this book is like hitting a hole in one. Finding so much good advice and ideas in one book for sales is rare. I jotted down so many ideas pertinent to my clients I filled several pages! Her section on prospect blind spots is just so dead on target. Blind spots usually encountered are:
- Lack of understanding
- No urgency
- No differentiation between products
- Confusing value with price
- Fear of change
- Fear of large commitment
- No perceived value-add
- Fear of getting burned. Again.
Then she quickly gives you ways to communicate through the blind spots.
Ever heard of a Horse Chart? That’s a PowerPoint where you have a picture/chart (say a Horse) with a title that says
exactly what it is (Horse). Nothing about the impact, effect or utility of the chart in the title. Instead of Sales use a title that talks to clients issues. ( Sales drop dramatically in the 3rd quarter)
A line I really enjoyed. ” People simply can not imagine needing something they have not experienced – unless its explained in terms of what they know and love .”
This is a book for those sales and marketing people who want to kick down the doors and storm the castles of their reluctant prospects. In dong so you will be able to make more money than ever before.
- Share of Wallet , a sales metric you need to know, to improve the value of your company
- 2007 The Sales Force of the Future Study Results. Ben Ball . Dechert-Hempe & Company
- Not presenting the right message to the right audience can be costly
- 7-25 Decision Makers on $25K plus sales deals these days.
- Q2 2009 sales trending – are you seeing this ?