August 13th 2007
Pattern Recognition. William Gibson. 2003. ISBN 0425192938. Vancouver’s most famous SF author paints some pretty incredible scenes with this one based in London, Tokyo, and Moscow, not that far in the future, The heroine is a coolhunter, someone who recognizes trends and patterns of behavior before anyone else and sells advice to marketing companies for big bucks. Oh and she has negative reactions to labels so she lives in generic clothes and lodgings. He grabs your attention from behind and before you know it you care about this mystery she is drawn to solve and all the ancillary characters involved. Great summer read and he nails how some companies are trying to manipulate word of mouth marketing. OK Spook country has been released (And its location is Vancouver)
- Spook Country. William Gibson.
- All Tomorrow’s Parties. William Gibson
- The Secrets of Word of Mouth Marketing. How to trigger exponential sales through runaway word of mouth. George Silverman.
- Brains On Fire. Igniting powerful, sustainable, word of mouth movements. Robbin Phillips, Greg Cordell, Geno Church, Spike Jones.
- The Anatomy of Buzz Revisited. Real-life lessons in Word of Mouth marketing. Emanuel Rosen